Tuesday, April 5, 2011

An Extravagant Hunger

Tonight as I was driving back to Mt. Pleasant, I listened to Radio West about a biography of M.F.K. Fisher, the food writer, called An Extravagant Hunger.   I had never heard of Ms. Fisher, which seems a loss on my part after hearing what a wonderful writer she was.  I might have to track down some of her books at the library.  As I listened to Anne Zimmerman describe her interest in Fisher and her search to understand a complex woman, I could hardly sit still.  It was one of those shows/topics/moments that made me want to be creative.  Could I be a Fisher and write wonderfully about food or perhaps a Zimmerman and document an extraordinary life?  What marvelous work is inside me?  I wish I could take something that I feel passionate about and turn it into something that makes other people feel passion.  Unfortunately, the thing I feel most passion about is being a wife to my husband and a mom to my kids.  Sure it involves things that are unexciting: laundry, poopy diapers, crying babies.  But there are rarer moments: hearing Kimball sing "Old MacDonald" to our chickens, hearing Stan laugh when I snort because he grabbed my nose, and watching Bryce play with the boys he loves.  It may be a great work on some level (an eternal one?), but I don't think Doug Fabrizio will be knocking on my door asking to interview me.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you are creative every day! So glad you liked the interview and I urge you to check out my book or -- better yet -- one of M.F.K. Fisher's. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann, thanks so much for the comment. I really enjoyed your interview and hope to check out both your book and one of M.F.K. Fisher's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldnt agree more with that, very attractive article

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...