Saturday, April 30, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Meatball Minestrone


This is a family recipe for a delicious soup that calls for Jimmy Dean sage flavored sausage.  Since I didn't have that, I used the rest of the meatballs I made earlier this week.  I think the sausage adds more flavor, but I threw in some pasta shells and we all agreed that this was delicious.  Here is my food storage version:

1 40 oz can tomato juice
4 c. water
5 beef bullion cubes
1/4 c. dehydrated onion
1 t. Italian seasoning
1 can corn drained
1 can kidney beans drained
10 oz frozen green beans
1/4 c. dehydrated  celery
1/4 c. dehydrated carrots
18 elk meatballs cooked (I baked them at 400)
1-2 c. pasta

I threw everything into the crock pot except the pasta.  That went in 1/2 hour before serving.  I served it with garlic bread, since I had one loaf of French bread in the freezer.  I like to buy them day old and throw them in the freezer until I need them.

As a side note, I love Johnny's garlic spread for making a quick garlic bread.  I just sprinkle it over butter and broil until golden brown.  The seasoning is available at Costco.  You can bet this will be a part of our food storage.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you've found a use for the dehydrated celery we got from grandma's. Good recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndy, I do like the dehydrated celery. It actually smells good just like it is!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...