Friday, April 15, 2011

Week 1 Roundup: What we ran out of

Eating without going to the store for a week is not that big of a deal.  Most of us have probably survived that.  I've just got 11 more weeks of the same.


Here is what I ran out of:

  • Ice cream.  This makes Bryce want to own a milk cow and an ice cream maker.
  • Dill pickles.  Bryce does not consider this a deprivation, but I love them on tuna.  I do, however, have some sweet ones that will have to work.  Note to self: can some dill pickles.  Better yet, plant some cucumbers!
  • Canola oil.  This is potentially our biggest disaster because we need oil to make bread.  I do have some peanut oil and olive oil, but I also have a generous mother-in-law who has already offered to replenish our supply.  I imagine our families will also come to the rescue in case of real disasters.
  • Parmesan cheese.  I don't know what to do about this one.  I don't even have any of the powdered stuff on hand.
  • Prenatal vitamins.  I still take these because I'm nursing.  I have some one-a-day women's which will get me by, but prenatals are something we women of childbearing years should have on hand.
  • Canned pineapple.  I used my last can on the beans Wednesday night.  I don't store a ton of canned fruit because we don't eat a lot, but now that we won't have as much fresh fruit, I'm reconsidering my storage priorities.  Kimball loves fruit.
I have a feeling that as the weeks go by, this list will get longer.

UPDATE:  In retrospect, I realized I should have included the following:

  • Bananas.  Poor Kimball, he asks for one nearly every morning.
  • Lettuce
  • Red bell pepper
  • Italian Sausage.  I used this here.
  • Sour Cream

3 comments:

  1. Kate-I'm enjoying reading your blog...it's a little late, but I have a great wheat bread recipe that uses olive oil...of course it also calls for wheat gluton and dough enhancer so you don't have that on hand, this doesn't help much. Good luck and I'll look forward to seeing how it all goes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate-I forgot to log is as me and not my husband...this is Julie Edwards Kenworthy :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie, it's good to hear from you. I'd be interested in the recipe. I have gluten, but not dough enhancer. However, I think you can make your own enhancer. I should look that up. You can email me the recipe at katenhansen@gmail.com. I will certainly let you know what I find out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...