Monday, April 18, 2011

A Spectacular Failure

I decided to try and make strawberry shortcake strictly from food storage stuffs.  I don't recommend it.  Some ideas sound good in theory.  But theories do not always taste good.

The whipped cream.  The reason I decided to try it out was the can you see at the left.  This is one of the cans we got from Bryce's grandma's house.  I have no idea how old it is.  The instructions claimed that you could make whipped cream.  I was skeptical but thought it was worth a shot.  I was right to doubt.  Powder and water do not whipped cream make. It smelled a lot like butter powder (which, when you think about it--butter comes from cream--it makes sense).  I'll probably use it as butter powder in some of my mix recipes.

The cake.  The cake was to be made from flour, sugar, baking powder, powdered butter, salt, an egg and water.  Somehow I thought oat flour was a good idea.  The cake turned out really dense.  I don't know if it was the flour or the butter powder that failed me.  Bryce didn't like it.  I thought it tasted ok.  But what it needed was real whipped cream.

The Strawberries.  I attempted to reconstitute some freeze dried strawberries with water, sugar and cornstarch, hoping that it would make a nice syrup.  Well, it made a syrup, but nice is not a word I would use.  I probably used too much sugar and boiled it too long.

There you go.  Not everything I make works out.  And sometimes living on food storage is not as much fun as having real food at your disposal.  Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...