Tuesday, April 12, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Cheese Sauce

I talked to Mom this morning on Skype and one of her first questions was, "What did you have for dinner last night?"  If we weren't doing this experiment, I doubt she would have asked that question.  Well, I'll tell you.  We had nachos with cheese sauce made from powdered cheese.  Although I am not totally out of cheese, (I have about a pound of shredded cheddar in the freezer and a pound of mozzarella in the fridge), I did not want to run out of cheese in the first week.



The chips were a bit of a gift from our dinner guests on Sunday.  The black beans were canned, seasoned with cumin and onion salt, smashed a bit and heated.  They were tasty.  The meat was turkey that was cooked, cubed and frozen from a previous meal.  I heated it up with salsa and some of the illicit yogurt.  Here is the recipe for the cheese sauce.  By the way, it makes EXCELLENT mac and cheese.  Kimball approves.

4 1/2 c. dehydrated cheese
2 2/3 c. powdered milk
2 2/3 c. dehydrated butter
2 2/3 c. flour
2 t. onion powder

Mix 1/2 c. mix with 1 c. boiling water.

As a side note.  I took the extra beans and turkey and put them in some flour tortillas, stuck them in the freezer and now I have a few frozen burritos for quick lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...