Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Cookbooks I Love: Mix-A-Meal

I have had a copy of the Mix-A-Meal cookbook for probably 2 years (thanks to my sister-in-law Jill).  But I have only really been using it in the last year.  The book offers recipes for creating mixes, like Bisquick or cake mixes, as well as recipes to use the mixes.  When my in-laws gave us some powdered eggs, butter and cheese to use, I turned to this book to figure out what to do with those powdered products.

In this book there seems to be a mix for everything.  Since I wasn't interested in using all the mixes, I set out to find the ones that I liked that would work for the way I cook.  So far my favorites are the cheese sauce recipe, the hot roll mix (which we use for bread sticks and pizza) and what's called the Oriental Stir Fry recipe (which makes a good sauce for any kind of meat and veggies).

I had a friend interested in the tomato sauce recipes and since I had just acquired some tomato powder we made some BBQ Sauce Mix and some Tomato Sauce Mix.  I haven't had a chance to try them, but I will let you know how they turn out.

In the mean time, here is the hot roll mix.  I love this because I can get some garlic bread sticks in the oven even if I don't have time to let them rise.

10 c. flour
1 c. dehydrated butter
2/3 c. sugar (I like to use less)
1/4 c. powdered milk
2 T. salt

Combine 1 1/2 c. warm water to 1 T. yeast.  Add 4 c. hot roll mix.  Knead 5-10 minutes.  Let rise for 1 hour (optional--I will say if you let it rise the texture is softer).  Use cornmeal on a baking sheet and roll out.  Bake 375 for 15-25 minutes until edges are golden.

Four cups of the mix will make enough for 2 pizzas.  I often use half as much for one sheet of bread sticks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...