Thursday, April 14, 2011

Vanilla Syrup, The cure for the common powdered milk

In some things I have failed as a parent.  My 2 and a half year old will not drink milk without some form of sugar in it.  Be it powdered or otherwise, I am doomed to provide something sweet so he will get his calcium. Lecture me if you want.  I'm just here to share his favorite mix-in (and mine!)--vanilla syrup.

1.  Get yourself some vanilla beans.  I got mine on eBay before my grocery abstinence began.

2.  Add 2 cups sugar for every cup of water to a big pot.  (For this batch I did 8 cups sugar and 4 cups water, which somehow came out to 9 cups of syrup).

3.  For each cup of sugar slice open a vanilla bean and scrape out the tiny seeds.  You know, the little black specks in vanilla bean ice cream.  Add both the scrapings and the pods to the pot.


4.  Heat until all the sugar is melted.


5.  Pour into sterile canning jars, add some beans so they can keep infusing, wipe rims, put on lids and bands.


6.  Water bath for 20 minutes.


There you have it.  Yummy vanilla syrup.  And yes, I did can quarts of the stuff.  In addition to adding it to milk, it's great on pancakes!

2 comments:

  1. If I ever have some vanilla beans lying around, I will do it! I bet it would be good in hot chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm . . . hot chocolate. I just might try this if it snows again. I'll let you know. BTW, do you ever have vanilla beans lying around?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...