Monday, April 25, 2011

Cookbooks I Love: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Ok, this isn't really a cookbook, but it does contain recipes.  I think subconsciously this is the book that inspired my no grocery shopping journey, and if not that then at the very least I was inspired to attempt to make cheese (which I hope to blog about soon).

In the book Barbara Kingsolver and her family chronicle the year they moved from Mesa, AZ to their 40 acre farm in southern Appalachia to produce the food they ate, or at least buy it locally.

The book really made me think about the sources of the food I eat and the political and economic impacts those choices have.  I am trying to make better food choices for my family as a result.  In addition to the chickens and growing our own garden, we plan to pick blackberries and raspberries this summer in Payson.  I also hope to buy more organic vegetables from local farms.  We are a little late to purchase a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share, but maybe next year.

In any event, I highly recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...