Saturday, April 9, 2011

Self Reliance Experiment: Menu for Day 1

I can't tell you how excited I am for this no grocery experiment.  You must be wondering what they put in the water down here in Sanpete County--chickens, solar ovens, buddy burners, forgoing trips to the grocery store.  I don't even have a response.  But I will tell you what we ate yesterday.

Breakfast: Eggs with cheese and salsa in flour tortillas.
Lunch: Leftovers with grilled chicken.  (I'm lucky to have a boy who will each grilled chicken instead of nuggets.)
Dinner:  Chicken pot pie.

The pot pie was already made and in the freezer, I just had to bake it.  Here is the recipe.  (I didn't take a picture, so just pretend this one is mine.)


2-3 chicken breasts, cooked and diced
1 onion
2 cloves garlic
1-2 T. butter or olive oil
1 can cream soup
1 c. milk (can refill soup can with milk)
2-3 cups frozen veggies--ANYTHING works! (I like peas, carrots and corn, but I have used broccoli and cauliflower too.)
2 pie crusts (you can make your own, but I usually use store bought

Saute the onion and garlic in the butter or oil until soft.  Add the soup and milk and stir until combined.  Add chicken and veggies.

Put bottom pie crust in pie pan.  Fill with soup and veggie mixture.  Put second pie crust on top.  Finish off edges.  If you are going to freeze it, wrap in plastic wrap and pop it in the freezer and then defrost before baking.  

Bake 375 until golden brown (about 30-45 minutes).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...