Saturday, April 23, 2011

Tomato Powder in place of Tomato Paste

One of the nice things about this experiment is that I have had the chance to use a lot of powdered products.  We are especially lucky because Bryce's parents have gifted us these so we didn't have to spend the money on them.  As I use them, I am trying to figure out if they are something I would like to keep as part of my long term storage. 

The Tomato Powder is something I am still trying to figure out.  I have to say that I was not really impressed with the tomato sauce it made.  My next attempt was to use it as a substitute for tomato paste.  This was much more successful.

I made a bean skillet meal that I have made before, only I substituted dried onions and tomato powder.


1/2 c. dehydrated onions, reconstituted in water with water reserved
3-4 cloves garlic
1 T. tomato powder
1 t. cumin
1/4 t. salt
3 cans black beans, drained
1 can corn

I sauted the onions and garlic and then added the tomato powder, cumin and salt.  Once incorporated I added the beans and corn.  Then I used the onion water to keep things moist.  It tasted pretty much the same as when I have made it with tomato paste.


I used the last of my tortillas with brown rice to make some burritos for Bryce's lunches.  Those went into the freezer for later use.


I also had a bowl myself with some cheese on top.  That's real cheese, my friends, and I don't have much left. This recipe makes a ton.  Even after 9 burritos and a bowl for myself, I froze a quart sized freezer bag more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...