Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Dehydrated Vegetables

I got this great casserole book from the library a while ago.  It has a recipe that I have been dying to try called "White Bean Casserole with Herbs and Pork Sausage."  I even bought the jar of roasted red peppers it called for.  But I was waiting to make it.  What was I waiting for?  The price of celery to drop.  Lame I know.




So, with our new food storage experiment, I set out to make the recipe with dehydrated veggies.  Thanks to Bryce's grandma, we have carrots and celery.  The onions we already had.


I soaked 1/4 c. celery, 1/2 c. carrots, and 1/4 c. onion in water for most of the day.  Here is the rest of the preparation:

1.  Brown 1 lb. of Italian sausage (I only had about 3/4 lb. and it's my last.), then drain on a paper towel.
2.  In same pan saute drained veggies (but save broth).
3.  Add, 1 jar roasted red bell pepper, diced; 2-3 T. dried parsley; 1/4 t. dried rosemary, crushed; 1/4 t. dried thyme; 1 c. of remaining broth; 1 t. chicken bullion; 1 1/2 t. salt; pepper to taste.
4.  Drain and rinse 2 cans of great northern beans.  Pour into greased casserole dish.  Smash some of the beans.
5.  Stir in sausage and veggie mixture.
6.  Top with 3/4 c. bread crumbs and 1/4 c. Parmesan cheese.  Drizzle with olive oil.
7.  Bake 40 minutes at 400.


I am sure that this would have been a much different dish with fresh veggies, but I loved it.  It has so much flavor.  Kimball even declared, "Yummy beans!"  But Bryce was less impressed.  Oh well, Kimball and I don't have to share the leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...