Saturday, April 30, 2011

The Votes Are In!


Thanks to all of you who took the time to vote.  I know this is all a bit silly.  But I'm having fun and love hearing from those who are reading my blog.  60% of you think that we should be able to purchase milk from a local dairy farmer.  I am grateful and relieved.  12 weeks of powdered milk is a bit much.

Your response has made me think a lot about what it might be like if there were some kind of disaster or emergency.  I think I had it in my head that if something happened I would be stuck with what I have in my house and would have to learn to survive with what little I had stored.  That presumes that the world would freeze and become static.  It never does.  I think it more likely that we would try and help each other out.  We would barter, trade, donate and purchase from each other what we need.  At least that is the disaster scenario that I am going to imagine.  The need to defend our food storage with guns I will leave to my husband.

So, I think this means that my experiment is changing a bit.  We will continue to eat from our pantry, but where I am able to purchase food from local producers, I will.  This new change is good because my purchase yesterday from the Norbest turkey plant is no longer cheating.  I bought a small boneless turkey breast roast, which was considered a "second"--meaning it had a defect of some kind, such as a packaging defect.  You can't beat $1.00 per pound.  I mostly bought it because I thought it rude to ask about factory "seconds" and then not buy something when the nice lady went to the trouble of getting them from the freezer for me.

2 comments:

  1. Nice to learn about cheaper turkeys. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cyndy, this is the same place to buy the "pot roast" turkey like they served at Mary's baptism. I almost bought you one. They are $2.20 or so a pound and about $15. Let me know if you want one next time and next time we go to Moroni, I'll get you one.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...