Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Make Your Own Graham Crackers--With Powdered Butter

To begin with, I have to tell you I really had very low expectations for this recipe.  I was determined to attempt graham crackers so Bryce could continue with his chocolate icing fix.  I decided that it was the perfect time to try butter powder in a recipe.  While I have used it in recipes from the Mix-A-Meal cookbook, I hadn't used it as a replacement for actual butter in any other recipes.  The graham crackers seemed like a good place to start.

Here was the problem, the recipe called for the butter to be creamed.  Not unusual in a recipe for a cookie.  But powdered butter does not actually "cream."  Oh, well, I thought.  I would just make the recipe and see how it went.  I am not afraid of failure.

2 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white flour
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 c. butter powder
1/2 c. water
1/2 c. white sugar
1 T. molasses
1/3 c. honey
1 t. vanilla
1/2 c. milk

I mixed the above in the mixer and out came a VERY sticky dough.  But I followed the directions and put it in plastic wrap to spend 8 hours in the fridge.


Surprisingly, after it chilled, I was able to roll it out with the help of some extra flour.  Instead of simply cutting  them into cracker shapes, Kimball and I used cookie cutters (i.e. I occupied my toddler for an hour until he got bored).


Baked for 12 minutes at 325.  And do you know what?  They tasted like graham crackers!!  I was shocked. I was prepared to throw the whole mess out.  Instead, I made myself some chocolate icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...