Sunday, April 10, 2011

Self Reliance Experiment: More Recipes


Yesterday was a day of trying new recipes.  I have been looking for a chance to make this bread recipe, which has beans in it.  It turned out delicious!  Bryce said he liked it more than the whole wheat bread I make (which is saying a lot).  I used half white flour and half wheat flour with the bean puree.  I didn't bother grinding any beans for bean flour because my grinder is in storage, but I just may try that some day.

We also had a carrot soup for dinner, which probably would have been better if I had stuck to the recipe.  I made it in the crock pot and about half way through the day I thought it tasted bland so I spiced it up by adding Derek's jalapeño elk salami.  And spice it up it did!  Good thing we had some sour cream to cool it off.  It turned out ok, but I won't be jumping on that recipe again.  Especially since I am almost out of carrots. (I wonder if you could make a whole soup out of dehydrated carrots . . . )

Today we are having a pantry staple: taco soup.  Here is what I threw in the crock pot this morning:

1 onion and 2 cloves garlic cooked until softened
1 lb. elk (You can use beef) browned
1 can black beans, drained
1 can great northern beans, drained
1 can corn, drained
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 can diced green chilies
2 cans beef broth (omit these and it will be thicker like a chili)
2 Tb. Emeril's Essence (You can use one pkg of taco seasoning.  I just happened to have some Essence to use up and I have to say, it's quite delicious.)

Heat in the crock pot on low all day.  Top with shredded cheese, sour cream, sliced black olives, Fritos, etc.

I am sure all of this will get more interesting when I start running out of things.

3 comments:

  1. Love this daily blogging. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gin. There should be more fun stuff to come!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...