Wednesday, May 4, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Uglies


That's what they're called: Uglies.  I didn't make that up.  I went searching for a ground beef recipe on Allrecipes.com because ground elk is the one thing I have.  I found a recipe for Uglies.


Basically, its a biscuit in a muffin tin filled with ground beef and BBQ sauce and topped with cheese.  I totally splurged on this meal because I had to make my own biscuits and they used a whole cube of butter.  I also used up most of our cheddar cheese.  I served these up with our last can of corn.  Kimball liked the corn best.

The little uglies were pretty easy to make.  I used a recipe for cheddar buttermilk biscuits that I have made before.  In place of the buttermilk I used 1 t. lemon juice + enough milk to equal the 3/4 c.  Let that sit at room temperature until it starts to curdle.  There you go, buttermilk substitute!

I used a sunflower cookie cutter because it was the biggest I had.  But they worked out perfectly because the scalloped edges made it so the biscuit fit into the muffin tin so easily.  And they looked so cute.

For the sauce, I used the powdered BBQ sauce I mentioned here.  However, I had to doctor it up a bit.  I added Worcestershire sauce and extra water and vinegar.

It ended up tasting more like a sloppy joe, which was ok.  But I won't be using this powdered mix a lot.  I am still going to look for a good canned BBQ sauce I can make.

With a better BBQ sauce I might actually make these little uglies again.

2 comments:

  1. If you are looking for BBQ sauce to bottle/can, I would suggest going to your local USU extension office. They have an amazing amount of information (and recipes) for canning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harriet,

    Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to check things out at thhe extension office.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...