Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Mulligatawny Soup and "Soup Mix"

Are you familiar with the "Soup Mix" that used to be available at LDS Canneries?  I found a recipe online if you are inclined to make your own, however, I wouldn't bother.  You see, the Soup Mix is annoying.  The various ingredients--split peas, lentils, rice, and alphabet pasta--all take different times to cook.  The split peas are still crunchy by the time the pasta has turned to mush.  Be that as it may, I have Soup Mix in my food storage (thanks to Bryce's grandma and mother) and I feel obligated to use it.  So last night I did.

I made mulligatawny soup for the first time.  I have been craving curry, but without any coconut milk on hand, I haven't found anything that satisfied--until now!

1/4 c. dehydrated onion
1/4 c. dehydrated carrots
1/4 c. dehydrated celery
3 t. curry powder
8 c. water
8 chicken bullion cubes
1/2 c. dehydrated apple chips
2 c. diced chicken breasts (I used turkey)
1 c. Soup Mix (you could use rice instead)
1 can evaporated milk

I threw all the ingredients, except the milk, into the crock pot and cooked on high for 4 hours.  1/2 hour before serving, I turned it to low and poured in the milk.  The picture is nothing to look at, but it was delicious!  We will be adding some version of this soup to our regular meal rotation.  It was *that* good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...