Wednesday, May 25, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Leftover Turkey


Can you believe it?  It totally forgot to take a picture of dinner.  Even after six weeks of photographing my food, it still doesn't feel very natural.  In any event, we ate turkey tacos last night.  My mother-in-law sent me a package of fat free whole wheat tortillas before she left town.  I love having something new to plan a meal around.

After dicing the turkey, I heated it in some bottled salsa.  To that I added some of my homemade yogurt to make it a little creamy.  I also heated a can of black beans with some garlic salt and cumin.  Add a little rice and then put the burritos together.  They were delicious, even without cheese.

Although I didn't take picture of dinner, I did take pictures of a freezer meal I also made with the leftover turkey.  It's a take on one by the Pioneer Woman you can find here.  I made only half a recipe because I used my homemade cheese and didn't have enough for a full recipe.  But no worries, a half recipe will feed the family.  When I've made this before there were lots of leftovers.

Here is what I did:

1 1/2 c. broken whole wheat spaghetti, cooked
1 1/2 c. diced turkey
1 can cream of chicken soup
2 T. dehydrated peppers
2 T. dehydrated onions
1 c. diced homemade mozzarella
1 c. hot water from the spaghetti mixed with 1 chicken bullion cube
1/2 t. seasoned salt
2 small pinches cayenne pepper


I mixed all these ingredients in a bowl and then dumped it into a Ziploc plastic container.  I love to freeze casseroles in these.  When the time is right, I just pop it out into an oven dish and bake.  I topped things off with the rest of my homemade cheese, diced and sprinkled on top.  I can't wait to try this!


I have enough turkey to make one more freezer meal.  I am thinking about a pot pie with the left over gravy.  (That small 5 lb. turkey made 4 meals!  Not bad!)  The leftover potatoes are going on top a shepherd's pie.  All three of these freezer meals are going to help out next week during the big move!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...