Tuesday, May 10, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Gruel and Cornbread


Gruel.  That's what Bryce told me the soup looked like.  And he had a point.  I made black bean and ham soup. The black beans turned the broth the color of gruel.  However, Bryce changed his tune when he tasted it.  The soup had so much flavor thanks to the ham bone.  Here is what I stuck in the crock pot yesterday morning:

1 ham bone
3 cans black beans with broth
1/3 c. dehydrated onion
1/4 c. dehydrated celery
4 cloves garlic
1 t. coriander
1 sprinkle of red pepper flakes
enough water to cover the ham bone

It simmered on low all day.  An hour or so before we ate I pulled out the ham bone.  I diced all the meat and put that back in.  I tossed the bone.

I made cornbread to go with it.  And for good measure I made honey butter from our homemade butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...