Monday, May 9, 2011

Making Butter from Cream

I'm not sure this could be any easier.  The hardest part was skimming the cream off the top of the milk.

1.  Place cream in mixer.  Turn mixer on.


2.  Mix at a high speed and wait for it.


3.  Wait for it.


4.  Wait for it.  (I confess there was a point that I thought it might not happen.  My friend I got the milk from told me that if there was any milk in the cream it wouldn't turn to butter.  I thought I might have been a poor skimmer  . . . but . . .)


5.  Butter!  I tossed the water that was produced, technically "buttermilk."  However, buttermilk today is a fermented skim milk and not really the same thing.  I didn't salt the butter, but I suppose I could have.  I worked out a little extra water when I put it in a jar.  Bryce thinks this is the best butter he has ever tasted.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't done it yet - but I want to! I just made Ghee the other day. It's butter without the milk fat so you can cook with it on high heat and it doesn't burn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, That is so cool you made ghee. Did you make it for a specific recipe or just to cook with?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...