Thursday, April 19, 2012

Apple Pie Oatmeal Bars

Last fall I canned some Apple Pie Jam.  It was a bit unintentional as I was going for an apple conserve with big chunks of apple but couldn't get the apple's to suspend in the syrup so I gave up and attacked the whole pot with my immersion blended.  I called the result apple pie jam.  It turns out I'm not a big fan of apple pie jam on toast.  So I now have the burden pleasure of using up the jam.

I decided that this recipe for oatmeal bars courtesy of the Pioneer Woman was made for my jam.  I'd like to pretend this is healthy since I used whole wheat flour, but it has nearly two cube of butter.  So I'll just enjoy it for what it is--pure deliciousness.  You know the crumb topping on muffins.  This is like a bunch of that topping with a hint of spicy apple pie.  It's really good. 



1 3/4 sticks of butter (14 Tablespoons)
1 c. brown sugar
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
12 oz. apple pie jam

Cream butter and brown sugar.  Add in the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, baking powder and salt.  Press half of mixture in 9x13 pan.  Spread jam over top.  Sprinkle with the other half of the mixture.  Press lightly.  Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes. 

Let cool completely before cutting.  This is important because they are too gooey to cut.  Or you can be impatient like me and eat them hot.  I was wishing I had some ice cream with this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...