Sunday, April 15, 2012

Self Reliance Experiment Part II (aka SREII)


It's been just over a year since I did the Self Reliance Experiment.  I've been thinking a lot about it.  I learned a lot about cooking with what I have on hand rather than making a recipe as written.  I also learned a lot about what to store and how to use it.  Oh, and I want a cow.  Well, at least a part of me does.


The point of this travelling down memory lane is that I have decided to do it again--well, sort of.  I would like to stop going to the store altogether, but I now have two toddlers who need their whole milk and I don't have access to fresh raw milk while living in the city (at least, not that I can afford).  Further, we no longer have chickens.

So, I'm giving myself a budget of $50 per month.  That should keep us in milk, eggs, and cheese with the occasional splurge on meat, peanut butter and a Bountiful Basket.  I am calling this experiment SREII.  Rather than setting a deadline of 12 weeks, I'm going to see how long I can go on a budget of $50/mo.  Any predictions?  (My guess: 12 weeks.  Ha ha.)

Is there anything that you would like me to cover this time around?  Do you want to know what I have stored now before it starts?  Do you want recipes?  Do you want to know what we eat for dinner like last time?  While I confess this whole crazy thing is for myself, I love input.  Feel free to email me at katenhansen@gmail.com.

4 comments:

  1. You are awesome. I can't wait to see what you do, this time around. You're inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like a list of what and how much you have on hand. Then when you finish I can see how much I would need. I like to hear what you ate. Oh, and I think you'll be able to go for 5 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jana, You're Awesome!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...