Saturday, April 21, 2012

Crock Pot Spaghetti Sauce for the Freezer

I'm not a huge fan of raw tomatoes.  Ok, I can't stand them.  So when I order a Bountiful Basket and tomatoes show up I have to find something to do with them.  Although I have been known to simply can them, I am more likely to make spaghetti or pizza sauce.  In fact, I made some yesterday.  Here's how.

1.  I need about 7-8 cups of tomatoes.  This batch only came to about 6 cups so I added in some canned.


2.  Into the crock pot they go.


3.  Next add two chopped onions.


4.  Then 1/2 half green pepper chopped, 1 T. garlic minced, 2 T. italian seasoning, 2 T. sugar, 1 T. salt, 1/2 t. pepper, 2 T. dried parsley.  (I added parsley that was frozen in cubes, but dried works fine.)


5.  1/2 can of a 6 oz. can of tomato paste.


6.  Mix it all together and simmer for 6-8 hours on low.  If you like it chunky then you're done, if not you can use an immersion blender.  If you don't have one of these handy tools then you can blend it in a regular blender in batches, but be careful it will be very hot.


7.  Let it cool and then package it in freezer bags.  I used gallon bags even though I only added few cups.  Hey, use what you got.  Label and freeze for a quick meal later.




1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...