Monday, April 16, 2012

My Pantry: Week 1

I thought it might be helpful for you to see what I have on hand for my grand SREII experiment.  While I haven't been stocking up just for this, I try to keep a well stocked pantry for both everyday use and long term storage.

I keep food in three places: my pantry, the laundry room and the garage (well, and the fridge, duh.)

THE PANTRY

I know it's not the tidiest pantry, but it works.  


Hanging on the door is a shoe organizer.  It's full of all the little things that make a pantry messy.  (And yet mine is still messy . . .)  I have things like seasoning packets, chocolate chips, gum, leftover Easter candy, etc.  I also have some rubber gloves and batteries in there.  Don't ask me why.

The top shelf doesn't hold a lot of food.  Mostly just cereal (which I don't buy a lot of.  My poor kids.)  It also has my rice cooker and crock pot.  Behind that are paper products and stuff.  Mostly stuff.

The next shelf down has a row of "cansolidators".  They take up a lot of room, but make finding cans easy.  It's a compromise.  The caned goods are pretty random--tuna, beans, evaporated milk, cream soups.  And I think there is a can of salmon in there too.  This shelf also has some homemade rice-a-roni, spices and other sundry things.

The middle shelf has boxed goods like cake mixes and crackers, as well as the stuff I use nearly everyday, like honey and oil.

The next shelf down has a bunch of #10 cans that are open and used less often.  Things like, powdered milk, popcorn, powdered eggs, dehydrated veggies, etc.  There are also some plastic bins with oats, rice and baking soda.

The floor has larger bins for flour and sugar.  The vinegar is behind the recycle bin.

THE LAUNDRY ROOM

We have some metal shelves in our laundry room that we use for canned good, both commercially and home canned.  When I stock up at a case lot sale the cans usually make it into the "cansolidators".  The boxes hold my home canned goods and empty jars.  You can see what I canned last year HERE.



THE GARAGE

The garage is the place I have all our long term food storage and backup of what's in the house.  I have large five gallon buckets full of white flour, sugar, brown rice and rolled oats, each with a gamma lid.  I also have buckets of hard red wheat, hard white wheat, pop corn and dehydrated potatoes.  The boxes are full of #10 cans.  Lots of milk, more wheat, quick oats, lentils.  There is other stuff too.  I just don't know what.


I'll have to do another post on what's in the freezer.

6 comments:

  1. oh, i just got a gamma lid for my wheat... that's the best thing ever invented.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. I actually want several more, but I don't know what to put the buckets yet. I should probably decide that first.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your storage looks well-planned and organized. As I've said before, i admire your cooking abilities, one of which is to create fabulous meals out of simple ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Cyndy. I can't help but think how much you've contributed to it. We appreciate your support so much!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...