Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fat Free Refried Beans in the Crock Pot

When I first saw this recipes for fat free refried beans I was skeptical because there was no presoaking nor boiling.  You just throw the dry beans in the crock pot with the seasonings.  I was worried that the beans would be crunchy (which I can't stand), but I was pleasantly surprised.

Here is what I put in my crockpot:

2 lbs dry pinto beans
1 small onion rough chopped
2 T. minced garlic
3 T. cumin
1/2 T. oregano
sprinkle of chipotle pepper
4 t. salt 
12 c. water


 Cook on high for 6 hours.  Remove 3 c. liquid and mash.  I didn't have a potato masher so I used my immersion blender.  It worked well.


The only real problem with this recipe is that it makes a TON!  So I am freezing some to make this soup.  Any other ideas for what I can do with refried beans?

2 comments:

  1. If you can't figure it out, I never could!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I'll find something. It might just take a little creativity.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...