Thursday, April 26, 2012

Yellow Squash Casserole

I think I have mentioned before that I read cookbooks in bed.  The other night I was reading this:


It was written by three women who lived in the ward that I grew up in.  One of the women, Maurine Hegsted, lived across the street from us.  Another, Beth Brown, lived a block or so away.  Her girls were some of my best friends growing up.  This cookbook is really cool.  It had the recipe for 7 layer dip before it was popular.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if these ladies invented it!  There is also the most amazing recipe for beef kabobs that has been a family favorite so long we claim it as our own.

Well, the other night I found a recipe for zucchini casserole.  I thought I would give it a try, but I gave it my own twist.  In the first place, I used summer squash.  Here's how I made it:

1.  I diced up three summer squash and half an onion.  I sauted them on medium heat in a little olive oil until they were good and soft.  Maybe 8-10 minutes.  


2.  I also added some small baby carrots sliced up.  


3.  In a separate bowl you are supposed to mix a can of cream of chicken soup with 1 cup of sour cream.  In my case it was about 1/2 c. sour cream and 1/2 c. plain yogurt because that was what I had.  I added in the squash mixture when everything was tender.

Then, in a separate bowl, I melted a cube of butter and mixed in a package of seasoned stuffing.  It makes crunchy stuffing flavored bread crumbs.  Yummy.

I layered a casserole dish with 1/2 stuffing mixture, the squash/soup mixture and the other 1/2 of the bread crumbs on top.  I baked it at 400 for 20-25 minutes until heated through and the stuffing was a bit brown.  You wouldn't have to do it that I, I just had the temperature up for some chicken.

It was so delicious!  Thank you Beth Brown, you are your co-authors created an awesome cookbook.



3 comments:

  1. I made this tonight and it was VERY good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! I thought it was good too. It also made good leftovers the day or two after.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...