Thursday, June 2, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Frozen Chicken Enchiladas


Chicken enchiladas are one of my all time favorite freezer meals.  On Tuesday of this week I defrosted some enchiladas and put them in the oven in time for dinner only to find out that the knob on our oven is broken and I hadn't turned it far enough. (I love getting used to new appliances!)  They were still cold when I checked on them some time later.  So, I threw them back in the fridge and we ate out at Quizno's (courtesy of a Groupon from a week or so ago).  I pulled them out again last night and was finally able to get the oven to work right.

Here is my version of creamy chicken enchiladas.  I tried to lighten it up a little by only using one can of soup. It usually makes enough for two casserole dishes--one of the reasons I love to throw one in the freezer.

1 can cream of chicken soup
1 c. sour cream
1 can creamed corn (make sure it's the creamed kind)
1 small can diced green chilis (the fire roasted ones taste better)
1 small can red enchilada sauce
4 chicken breasts, cooked and diced or shredded (whichever you prefer)
shredded cheese
12 flour tortillas

Mix all the canned ingredients in a large bowl.  Assemble the enchiladas by placing chicken and cheese with a little sauce in each one.  Now that I think of it, sometimes I add in a can of beans (drained) with the chicken.  Fill two casserole dishes with the tortillas.   Split the rest of the sauce between the two dishes and top with cheese.

Cook 350 covered for about 45 minutes until warmed through.  Take off foil for the last few minutes.  If frozen plan on cooking an extra 45 minutes, or defrost first.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...