Thursday, June 23, 2011

What We Ate for Dinner: Shepherd's Pie with Elk


This is a picture of an elk.  It's not the elk we ate for dinner last night.  I forgot to take a picture of my food again.  It's probably a good thing that I didn't attempt to introduce a camera into the mix.  Kimball was eating dinner without a shirt on (I did make him wear an apron).  Stan was covered in red punch and everything else that was within grabbing range.  Bryce was very well behaved and look just fine.  I wasn't wearing any makeup.  That's right, I went the whole day without putting any makeup on.  I did shower.  It hardly mattered because the only two people who saw me outside of my immediate family were the law guy and my sister, Charlotte (and that was over Skype).

Enough about things other than food.  This shepherd's pie recipe is another favorite freezer meal (although, tonight I made it fresh).  It's adapted from a Rachel Ray.

1 lb. ground elk (or beef)
1 chopped onion
1 tsp. chopped garlic
2 T. butter
1/4 c. flour (I used whole wheat because it was easier)
1 can beef broth
1-3 T. Worcestershire sauce, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1 c. frozen veggies
5-6 c. mashed potatoes, instant

Brown meat with onions and garlic in large skillet or wok.  Move meat to one side of pan, add butter.  Add flour to butter and mix into meat.  Add broth and Worcestershire sauce.  Add veggies and season to taste.  Mix up instant mashed potatoes.  Pour meat mixture into casserole dish and spread evenly.  Top with mashed potatoes.  You could serve this immediately.  Or your can stick it in the fridge until about 45 minutes before dinner, then heat in 350 oven.  This is what I did today.  Or you could cover it in tin foil and freeze for another day.  If frozen, give yourself at least an hour extra in the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...