Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Butter, how do I love thee?


I ran out of butter in week nine.  It was inevitable.  The rationing . . . well, I'll be honest.  I didn't ration.  I used my butter to my heart's content.  (Or discontent.  Has butter been linked to clogged arteries?)  Anyway.

In the interest of experimentation, I busted out some canned butter that Bryce and I bought in our first year of marriage.  Romantic, I know.


Here is a picture of the can.  Just ignore the dent; I did.  The brand is Red Feather and is supposed to have a 25 year shelf life.


It looked like read butter when we opened it up.  And, more importantly, it tasted like it!  I used it on toast and to cook with.  It was perfect.  I would recommend having some of this in your food storage if you don't think you can live without butter.  The only catch.  It's pricey stuff.  About $7.50 a can.  Each can is only 12 ounces or three cubes.  That's $10 a pound folks!

Given the price, I think we will keep some in our food storage, but not rotate it too regularly.  It does have a 25 year shelf life after all.

And in case you are wondering, I found a sale on butter for $2.50 a pound a few weeks ago.  I bought 12 pounds.  Yes, $30 worth of butter.  It will last us about 6 months. We should make it to the butter sales around Thanksgiving.  It was $2.00/lb. last year.  I am hoping for something similar this year, but with the way prices are going . . .


1 comment:

  1. You can buy more of this delicious Red Feather canned butter right here:

    http://www.ballantyne.com.au/red-feather.cfm

    Join us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter! @RFcannedbutter

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...