Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Fruit Rollups with Applesauce and Jello

Yesterday I posted a pin for fruit rollups made with applesauce and jello and I couldn't wait to try it.  (The original recipe can be found here.)  

These were so easy and they were seriously the best fruit rollups I have EVER made!  Considering I have lots of applesauce from last years canning haul, this may become a favorite at our house.


1. Mix 1 quart of applesauce with one small box of jello.  I used red raspberry because that was what I had in the pantry.

 2. Spread the mixture in a dehydrator.  Mine is a pretty inexpensive one.  I have the plastic inserts for fruit rollups, but it would be nice to place the applesauce on parchment so the rollups would be easier to store when done.  I think I might have to invest in some precut parchment rounds like these.  All I would have to do it cut a hole in the middle for my dehydrator.

If you don't have a dehydrator, you can do this in your oven (see this article).  I might try this next but I am waiting until I can stand to have the oven on for more than 30 minutes.  As in, maybe in November?

3.  Dehydrate for approximately 6 hours.  Mine might have got left in too long because I went shopping with my mother-in-law and my kids LOVE going to grandma's and grandpa's so we were a little late getting home.  Don't judge. 

They were still SUPER DELICIOUS.  Seriously, better than store bought.  I can't wait to try other flavors of jello.  I should go to the store right now.

8 comments:

  1. I love fruit rollups, but found that the flavors are not as good as the ones that were available when I was a child. I'll have to try this so that I can re-experience the flavors I used to have! Apple was always a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie, I hope you can find some apple jello because that sounds delicious!

      Delete
  2. Holy cow, I NEVER would've thought to use applesauce and jello. How smart! I'm a big fan of fruit rollups. Can't wait to try this!! New follower here. Yay for being blog friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until I found it on the internet I wouldn't have thought of it either. I hope yours turn out. Thanks for following. I love new blog friends.

      Delete
  3. fun! i need something to do with all my applesauce....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want, I can come over and help you get started. I really want to try it in the oven.

      Delete
  4. From the looks of the picture, I have the same dehydrator that you have.How many trays did one quart of applesauce fill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, sorry to take so long to get back to you. I was able to do 4 trays.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...