Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Iron-On Flannel Board Scripture Stories

This project has been about 8 months in the making.  Ever since a neighbor shared with me this idea for making flannel board scripture stories I have been anxious to put this together.  It's so easy, but did take me some time to save up for the supplies.


List of supplies:

  • Iron on transfers.  I got mine on Amazon.  It was the cheapest I could find without driving all over town, which I hate.
  • Pelon.  This you get at a fabric store.  It's the stuff you use to reinforce fabric and comes in about a zillion thicknesses.  I chose one that was mid range.  Sturdy but not too expensive.
  • Ink for your ink jet printer in both black and color.  I add this to the list because I used about 2/3-3/4 of a color cartridge for 24 sheets printed.
  • Downloaded files of scripture stories already colored.  Get them here (this woman went to a lot of trouble so we can all benefit.)
  • Iron.
  • Hard surface.
  • A pillow case or fabric to cover hard surface.  

Here is my ironing station for this project.  You need hard surface in place of an ironing board which isn't flat enough and might not take the kind of pressure you'll need to apply.  You'll also need to get your iron HOT as in as-hot-as-it-will-go.  So you can let this heat while you move on to the printing part.



Here is the basic procedure.  Go and get the files for the scripture stories here.  Then print each one in "mirror image" on an iron on transfer sheet.  This means that you are printing it backwards.  It doesn't matter much for the pictures, but some have captions like the picture below.  You can see that I printed it backwards.


Next you will need to iron the transfer sheet to the Pelon.  The iron should be really hot and you have to apply the heat while slowing moving the iron for 3 minutes.  It feels like an eternity.  It's best to but a timer on.


After that, let it cool and peel off the backing from the transfer paper and cut out the figures.


Here are my kids watching the printer go.  I'm not sure why this is entertaining.


Each group of figures has a story with scriptures you can print too.  I did this on regular paper and then placed it with the figures in a folder.  And the folder goes into a hanging file box.  I printed 24 sheets.  I think there are twice that if you do all the Old and New Testament, Book of Mormon and Church history.  It might be a while before I can purchase enough stuff to do this again.  So I was selective on the stories I choose.


I haven't made a flannel board yet.  I'm just draping the flannel over our easel.  (Do you you think I should iron it?)


This has been a really fun project because the kids love it.  They like the scripture stories and love putting the pictures up.  Now if I can just get them to stop fighting over them.

This post is linked up at House of Hepworths, Momnivore's Dilemma, and Something Swanky.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the post. This is such a great idea - and easy way to do a flannel board. Thank you, Kate. Glad to find your site!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the post! And welcome. I hope you enjoy the site.

      Delete
  2. I would like to extend a few words on the manufacturing and usages of surface box

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...