Monday, August 6, 2012

The Best Banana Bread I Ever Made





I had a few nasty brownish bananas sitting around this weekend.  That left me with only two choices: make banana bread or throw them out.  The outcome was totally dependent on how much energy my pregnant body had available.  So, I made my decision.  Skip the dishes and make the bread.  My kitchen is a mess but the bread was a.maz.ing.

Want to know my secret?  Lemon cubes.  (To find out what a lemon cube is just follow the link or this one.)

You see my recipe for banana bread calls for lemon juice.  I decided to throw in a lemon cube in its place.  With the extra zest in with the lemon juice it made the bread zingy.  Oh, it was delicious.  And because I was in a healthy mood I threw in flax seeds.  This made the bread a bit chewy.  Even my husband commented on how good it was.  Here's how I made it.

1 c. white flour
1/2 c. whole wheat flour
2 T. flax seeds
1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1/2 c. butter melted and cooled
1 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 brown bananas
1 lemon cube or 2 T. lemon juice with a little zest
2 t. vanilla

Mix it all together and throw in the oven for baby and me!  I mean, place it in greased and floured mini bread  pans or muffin tins or a cake pan or whatever you have.  Bake at 350 until a toothpick comes clean.

This post is linked at sixsistersstuff.comsweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com and Me And My Sweets

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Chris, sorry that I wasn't clearer. I had a link to the lemon cube post but I should have pointed it out. Here is the link: http://bryceandkate.blogspot.com/2012/05/lemon-cubes.html

      Delete
  2. Lemon cubes....interesting. The banana bread looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have saved you some if I hadn't eaten it all! I'll make more and save you some.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. It's super handy when you need lemon. Half the time lemons go bad in my fridge before I use them.

      Delete
  4. Hi!

    I would love you to join My Sweet Party and the theme for August is Childhood favourites. Check it out:
    http://meandmysweets.blogspot.se/2012/08/my-sweet-party-august-childhood.html

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...