Monday, May 7, 2012

Cardamom Spiced Applesauce Muffins


I have lots of powdered butter to play with.  I don't use it that much, so I decided to try it as a butter replacement in baking.  I started with a favorite recipe: cardamom spiced applesauce muffins.  The recipe is super rich because it calls for both butter and oil.  Since it has two oils, I figured replacing the butter with powdered butter couldn't hurt too much.

You don't need powdered butter to try this recipe.  It is super delicious on it's own.  But Hubby did say these were the best I had made.  Perhaps he was just hungry.  You can see that some of them appeared to have oozed something.  I don't think this was the powdered butter.  I think it might have been the sugar, which is very old and a bit lumpy.  In any event, they tasted great and didn't last long around the house.

Cardamom Spiced Applesauce Muffins

1 1/2 c. white sugar
1 stick butter melted (or 1/2 c. powdered butter)
1/2 c. oil
2 eggs
2 c. applesauce
2 t. baking soda
2 t. cinnamon
1 t. cardamom
1/2 t. cloves
1 t. salt
1/2 t. black pepper (weird, I know.  But don't skip it!)
2 1/2 c. flour (I think I did 1 1/2 c. whole wheat with 1 c. white.  Maybe it was the other way around.)

Mix together ingredients and scoop into lined muffin tin.  Bake at 350 until toothpick comes out clean.  Makes about 24 muffins.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...