Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How I Started My Food Storage: Part VI--Powdered Eggs


My sister told me this last week that she liked my posts summarizing my experiences with food storage.  So, this post is really for her.  Maybe it will help some of you too.

After I got the basics of my food storage in place with the food storage calculator I started to try and figure what else I should be storing.  It didn't take me long to get overwhelmed given the options that are available.  In order to try and determine what other things I want to have on hand I have made an effort to experiment a bit.  Hence, the Self Reliance Experiment.

After having done lived on our food storage twice now, I can honestly say there are a few things I can't live without.  The first (and the subject of this post) is powdered eggs.  I think I have been through at least three cans in the last two years.  And that's while also buying fresh eggs.

Powdered eggs are super handy.  While you can use them as scrambled eggs, we prefer fresh for that.  So, I use powdered eggs in everything else: cookie dough, pancakes, muffins, crackers, cakes, I've even used them for an egg wash to make chicken nuggets.

There are still lots of things I would like to try the powdered eggs in too: pasta, a breakfast casserole or quiche and meatballs.

So far I have been pleased with the results.  I did think the cookies were a little drier than with fresh eggs, but they still tasted delicious.  In fact, perhaps I will go make some right now . . . mmm . . . coooookies.


2 comments:

  1. I have never heard of powdered eggs. Can you buy them at regular stores?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...