Tuesday, April 8, 2014

How To Make 38 Frozen Burritos for Lunches


This post is for my friend Maria.  We were talking the other day about how I make  freezer burritos and I thought I would put it in a post for her.  And you.  Whoever else is reading this.

This is one of my favorite projects because these burritos taste soooo good.  The hubby likes to take them in his lunches.  I like them when mac & cheese and dino chicken nuggets are on the menu and would prefer something else.

You can also use these for a quick dinner.  Place 4-6 burritos in an oven safe dish.  Cover with a can of green enchilada sauce and cheese.  Bake until warmed through.  Yum.

There are two main parts to my freezer burritos: homemade refried beans and sweet pulled pork.  They are both made in the crock pot and are both very easy.

THE BEANS.  Homemade refried beans taste vastly better than canned stuff and they are super easy to make.  I use this recipe I posted for the beans.  There are only two changes I make since that first post.  I add bacon grease from 1/2 to 1 pound of cooked bacon and I no longer remove any water.  I just cook them down after blending.


THE PULLED PORK.  I wish I had two crock pots.  Then I could made the pork in one and beans in the other.  Since I don't.  I will make the pork one day and beans the next.  Or the other way around.  Here is what I throw in for the pork.

3 lbs. pork roast
1 16 oz. jar of green salsa
1 c. brown sugar

I cook on low for 8-10 hours and then shred it.


Once the beans and pork are done you can assemble your burritos.  I use flour tortillas.

First a little beans . . .


Next a little pork . . .


Then some shredded cheese . . .


Roll them up and freeze them on a cookie sheet.  This will prevent them from sticking together when you put them in a bag.  You can also wrap them individually, but I usually don't bother.  This makes a lot, but it depends on how much of the ingredients you put inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...