Friday, December 23, 2011

Wet Wipe Box to Toy Box

I don't know about anyone else, but I am beginning to wonder where I am going to put all the new toys we got the kids for Christmas.  And who knows what Santa will bring!  In an effort to organize a little better I decided we needed a new toy box for all our trucks.  I found a wet wipe box and covered it in fleece.  I think it turned out nice.  

Here is the final outcome.


And here is what I did:

1.  Cut off the top flaps of a sturdy box.  Don' forget the little flaps inside the handles.  Sorry, my picture still has them.


2.  Cut a piece of fleece the [length of the box (the longer side) + 1 inch] by [the height x 2 + the width + 1 inch]. This will cover one long side, the bottom and then the other long side.


3.  Use a glue gun to attach the fabric at the edges of the box--down one side, across the bottom and up the other side.


4.  You can see I have a little extra on the sides and top.  This is so the corners and edges are fully covered. Glue them down.  Burn yourself a few times, after all you are using a hot glue gun.


5.  Cut a piece of fabric the width of the box (the shorter side) by the height x 2.  This piece will cover one side on both the inside and out.  Glue it down on just the outside.


6.  Once the glue has dried a bit, slit the fabric where the handle is and add a "Y" cut at the end.


7.  Turn the box over and pull the cut out around the handle.  Glue down.  Burn your fingers some more.  Then bring the rest of the fabric into the box and glue that too.


8.  This is what it will look like on the outside.  Do the same thing for the other side.


9.  Now all we need is a piece for the two other insides and the bottom.  Cut the piece the length by [the height x 2 + the width].


10.  Glue her in!


11.  All done!


Now all those trucks fit.  And now I'm ready for Christmas.  (As if!)


And the box looks so good on the shelf.  I wanna make me another one.  But I gotta wait until we need more wipes.


Since I am blabbing on about toy storage, I thought I would include a picture of the toy bags I made ages ago.  I use Command Strips to hang them.  It works.





3 comments:

  1. That toy box looks great. What a clever idea to hang the drawstring bags on command hooks--those gadgets are so handy. Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...