Thursday, December 8, 2011

Canning Chicken Stock

A draft of this post has been sitting on my computer for months.  I guess I should get my act together an finish it.

I've canned chicken and turkey stock a few times in the past year.  And I like doing it.  I know I could freeze the stuff, but cooking with canned is so much easier--no defrosting.  So, if you are up to it, here's how it goes:

1.  In a big stock pot put a turkey carcass or chicken bones.  Cover with water (about 4-8 quarts).  For this version I bought some bone-in split chicken breasts on sale, de-boned them myself and saved the bones, skin and fat.  It's a nice rectangular shape because I froze them until I was ready to make stock.


2.  Throw in some carrots, celery and onions.  No need to peel or chop here, although I highly recommend washing them off.  I don't bother with any seasoning because I will season whatever dish the stock goes into.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 hours.


3.  Get your cheese cloth ready.  You really need some quality cheese cloth with a fine mesh.  I put the cheese cloth in the colander and the colander on another pot.  Drain the broth into the second pot.  Cool it.  Refrigerate over night.


4.  The following day you will see all the fat is on the top.  Remove as much as you can.


5.  Now you have nice pretty broth.  Bring it back to a boil.


6.  While waiting for the broth to boil, get your pressure canner and jars ready according to the instructions for your canner.  I always read the instructions again every time I use my pressure canner since I have no desire to blow up my house.


7.  Fill your jars with hot stock leaving 1 inch headspace and place them in the prepared canner.  Process for 20 minutes (25 for quarts) at the appropriate pressure for your altitude.  (14 pounds for me).


8.  Let your canner cool, and there you have it.  Homemade chicken stock.

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...