Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Purple Cabbage Experiment

My husband likes to listen to books on tape.  He often listens to whole college courses on various subjects, like nano technology, greek history, genetics.  He likes to know a little bit about everything.  But he's not a know-it-all.  He's a really cool guy.  

Anyway, after listening to the genetics course he called me and told me to buy purple cabbage.  I complied and then we had some fun.  I boiled the cabbage and we put the juice in 7 jars.


Then we added vinegar (acid) and baking soda (base) in various quantities.  I should have blogged this closer to when we did it because I don't remember the exact amounts.  We have a ways to go before we are real scientists.  Here is the basic idea from left to right: the control, about 1 c. baking soda with some water, a few tablespoons of baking soda with water, about 2 c. vinegar, 1 c. vinegar, I don't remember and a tablespoon or so of vinegar.


The basic idea is that color can change based on the pH level.  I think it might have something to do with how color is manifest in nature. In any event, we had fun.  Especially when we started mixing!

video

2 comments:

  1. Too much fun! I loved the explosion the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like the boys have two really terrific parents. How much fun you have together. It's really wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...