Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Slow Cooker Scalloped Potatoes: Review

I didn't take a picture of my food.  To be honest I was hungry and anxious to get the kids fed so I could stuff them in bed and call it a night.  But I know that it's nicer to read a blog post with pictures,so how about this one?


Ha ha!!  I don't know how google+ does these little moving pictures, but this one makes me laugh!  Well, on to the food ...

What I put in the Slow Cooker:

3-4 medium-ish potatoes, sliced into rounds
1 large head of broccoli, chopped
1 cup turkey ham, diced
1-2 cups grated cheese, Monterrey jack and cheddar mix
1 can cream of chicken
1 can of milk

I assembled the items in layers.  First potatoes, then broccoli, ham and cheese. Another layer of potatoes, then broccoli ham and cheese.  I topped it off with another layer of potatoes and a little more cheese.  Then I mixed the soup and the milk together and poured it over the entire thing.  I cooked it on low for about 7.5 hours.

My thoughts:

I would say this was a success.  I was surprised to see that some of the potatoes browned on top, at least the ones near the edges. I thought the broccoli would turn to mush, and it was soft, but not gross.

Bryce and the boys liked it.  I thought it was good too.  Not fabulous, but Bryce said he liked it well enough to make it again.  When I do, I will make a few changes.

First, I used turkey ham and Bryce doesn't like the texture.  He also would like it in a smaller dice.

Second, I am unsure that this would make a great freezer meal.  I really liked the layering.  This would be hard to replicate if you dumped all the ingredients in the bag, froze it and then dumped them into the crock pot.  Also, I am a little wary of frozen potatoes.  However, I do think this would work with frozen broccoli.

This was a very easy meal to assemble.  The boys liked it, so I will make it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...