Saturday, July 19, 2014

July 12-18: I take off for Chicago and the rest of the family survives

July 12.  We had a very productive Saturday cleaning the house and working on the yard.  The boys had a Stake Primary Party that they attended.  The theme was "Do you know the people in your neighborhood?"  They had a dentist come and a police officer who showed them his firearm and taser.  (That was a hit!)  They even had pizza and watermelon for lunch.



Abby practiced her tablet skills with a new game.  



July 13.  On Sunday morning we noticed that the pumpkin plant had bloomed!  Kimball was pretty excited.  Also on Sunday morning we got the news about the car accident that happened with Charlott's sisters in law.  On the way down to Cedar City, Tassha and Nickie were in a car with 5 kids and it rolled four times.  Everyone except Nickie was able to be discharged from the hospital.  She was terribly injured and it looks like she is unlikely to recover.


We left church right after the sacrament so that I could make my flight to Chicago.  I was really nervous leaving my littles for so long, but I made it safe to my hotel.

July 14.  The first day of the conference was long.  I was there from 7:30am to 5:00pm and my butt hurt from sitting so long in uncomfortable chairs.  However, it was really interesting and I learned a lot.  I went to dinner by myself and had sushi.  Since Bryce doesn't like sushi much and I love it, it's a bit of a treat to eat it when I am on my own.  I also had some pretty amazing egg rolls with Italian sausage, peanut sauce, caramelized onions and cabbage.  They were served with wasabi mayo and sweet and sour sauce.



I called home about bedtime only to find Stan had been stung by a wasp.  Fortunately he is not allergic so I merely had to explain to Bryce how to find some ibuprofen and give Stan and an appropriate dosage.  It was agonizing not being there to help out.  After things settled down we were able to Skype and have a family prayer together.  I loved hearing Stan laugh when I made faces in the camera.  Abby laughed too.  Did my heart good.

July 15.  After another long day of conference sitting, I decided to go try and find the mall so I could buy some souvenirs for the kids.  The walk to the mall turned out to be 3.5 miles round trip!




There weren't a lot of toy stores at the mall, but there was a LEGO store.  Right before I went in I read another email about Nickie and how she wasn't improving.  I felt so sad for everyone involved and sentimental that my kids were okay that I bought them nice big LEGO toys.  Stan got a Jake and the Neverland Pirates set and Kimball got Anakin's starfighter.  There was a kiosk of Sesame Street toys and so I picked out some Elmo books for Abby and an Elmo ball that laughs when you hit it.  I am so grateful that my little ones are safe without me.

In fact, there were in really good hands.  Here are some of pictures from London of things they did while I was gone.









July 16.  I was pretty done with conferencing by Wednesday.  There were only two sessions and I skipped the first.  After the second, which ended at 11:00am I decided I had no desire to wander around the city by myself and set off to figure out how to take the train to the airport and find an earlier flight home.  I totally lucked out.  I was the second person on the standby list with only one seat available.  That means it would take one person failing to show up who had checked in.  Guess what?  It happened and I was the last person on the plane.  I made it home three hours early.  Bryce picked me up and we went home to surprise the kids.  They loved their gifts and I loved being home!

July 17.  Back to the grind with work, piano lessons and swim lessons.  Abby and I got an Icee while waiting for the boys to finish swimming.


July 18.  Friday morning we met Kirstin, Rigby and Emme at the Aquarium.  After we went to Burger King for lunch.  It was so fun to have a cousins day out.  We haven't had one in forever.





I did a little work in the afternoon and then we had a pizza with the sister missionaries and our good friends the Chamorros--Pedro, Maria, Gabriel, Victoria, and Sebastian.  I should have taken pictures, but we were too busy having fun.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...