Saturday, October 29, 2011

I'm Back! With squash.


So, I took a blogging break.  I'm sure no one missed me.  And that's okay.

This last week, I took my kids to a pumpkin patch with my in-laws.  We had an awesome time.  My in-laws were nice enough to buy us pumpkins and to indulge me in the purchase of a bunch of different squash.  I bought four varieties that I had never tried before.  I am looking forward to educating myself on some new food stuffs.  Someday I might learn to grow them (if I ever learn to garden).

Here's what I picked up:

Sweet Meat--This is the pretty mint green colored one in the upper left corner.
Sweet Dumplings--These are the little white and green guys.
Carnival--This is the green and yellow one in the middle.
Buttercup--This is not a butternut (which I love).  It's a butterCUP and it's a flat green one that is hiding in the lower right of the box under a sweet dumpling.

All of these varieties are supposed to be sweet like a butternut.  We already tried the sweet dumplings.  We microwaved them until soft, sliced them open, scraped out the seeds, added butter, salt and pepper and then had ourselves little individual squashes.  They were really good.

1 comment:

  1. The sweet dumplings were delicious. I found that any small squash can be microwaved and come out tender.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...