Friday, March 29, 2013

The Jelly Bean Jar Method of Discipline


I have a two and a half year old.  He is probably like most toddlers--strong willed, happy (most of the time), very silly, and can throw a tantrum like nobody's business.  One of the things I would LOVE to get him to stop doing is shrieking like someone is performing surgery without anesthesia.  He does this when he gets frustrated (such as when his foot won't fit in his shoe) or when his brother touches him (which is often).

My friend (Thank you, Audry) gave me a good idea.  At the beginning of each day she puts a number of small treats in a jar.  We used jelly beans and I started with 10-12.  Each time one of the kids would do something they weren't supposed to, I got to eat a jelly bean.  (Yay!  Treats for Mom!)

If you try this you should be prepared for severe tantrums when you eat your first treat.  Losing a jelly bean is a fairly traumatic experience.   The best way to cure this is to eat another one for throwing a tantrum.

At the end of the day the kids get to eat their beans.  This has been a fairly successful experiment.  All I have to do now is to threaten to eat a jelly bean and I get pretty good compliance.  The problem is we are now addicted to jelly beans and need a recovery program.

1 comment:

  1. Read about this on Face Book. Is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...