Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Make Your Own Maternity Clothes

I don't (or didn't) have nearly enough maternity clothes.  After seeing this post on making your own clothes I decided to give it a try.  I also used this post as a reference.

So far I have done two capris, a pair of jeans and a skirt.  The skirt is by far my favorite and the only one I took pictures of.  The process is pretty easy.

1.  Cut off the waist band.  I just left the zipper in place, but I took the zippers off on some of the pants.


2.  Use a tight shirt and cut off enough  for a band.  This band is huge but I like to double it over.  Half of the shirt would have been plenty.


3.  Pin the shirt and the skirt/pants together and sew.



It's that simple.  Sorry I don't have a picture of the finished product, but I don't like taking pictures of my lumpy belly.  Be assured it looks great.

Now a few thoughts on doing this for pants.  Don't use jeans that are stretchy or tight.  Why?  Because they don't stay up.  It's annoying.  The jeans I made are cute but will have to go to my skinnier sister.  Also, I used some old tanks for the jeans that were not very study and they just ripped apart.  I am trying to add an elastic waist band to one pair to keep them up.  We'll see how that goes.

In any event, the skirt was a raving success.  And my nice hubby gave me a gift card to a maternity store for mother's day.  Between the few things I've made, my new stuff and the generosity of my sister loaning me hers, I think I will make it through the summer without looking like the frumpy mom I am.

3 comments:

  1. wow! That's a great Idea.
    I lucked out with some summer clothes from Jane, but once winter hits will have to hits some stores. I'm not looking forward to finding a coat that will fit over an 8 month belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber this was so easy. I kind of want to hit DI and buy some stuff just to convert. I don't know what to tell you about a coat. I am going to have the same problem.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...