Tuesday, January 31, 2012

What We Ate For Dinner: Peach Chicken and Asparagus


As a follow up to my meal plan, I thought I would let you know how dinner turned out.  Last night I made chicken in the crock pot based on this recipe.  It was delicious, but I did make a few changes.  First, I only made half a recipe, I used peach jam in place of the apricot preserves and my onion soup mix was homemade.  I was super easy so I have no doubt that we will make it again.  I roasted the asparagus in the oven at 450 after covering it in a little olive oil, kosher salt and some garlic.  It was perfect.

3 comments:

  1. we call it sticky chicken and eat it all the time. Yummy. I have never made it in a crockpot though. Will have to try it. It takes about 30 minutes on stovetop so one of my quick go to. Any fruit jam works, can even use cranberry sauce. Also Russian and Catalina dressing varieties work, they all change the flavor subtly all yummy. We usually have it with brown rice. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, this was the first time I made this. And I was thinking that the crock pot was unnecessary. I'll have to try it on the stove top and with your variations. I like the idea of the cranberry sauce. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To cook it on the stove here is what I do:
    My recipe calls for strips of chicken (chicken tenders) but since I always ended up cutting up my kids anyways when they were little I just cut it up to bite size pieces from the start: hint if you are starting from frozen chicken leave it slightly frozen, easier to cut. I still do this even though my kids can cut their own- habit I guess.

    Anyways brown the chicken in a large skillet. Once the chicken is brown add the remaining ingredients, mix and turn the heat to low. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes covered and you are good to go. If I am in a hurry I have been known to do less than ten. but a little longer is preferable.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...